I stumbled on this beautifully easy recipe a few weeks ago, and now I make it entirely too often around here! It is ridiculously easy, and is another healthy one-pot dinner I can rotate through the meal plan fairly regularly without complaint from my "needier" eaters!
What busy mom doesn't need more of this kind of recipe in her life?
The original recipe I tried called for pork sausage, but since we're trying to move away from pork in our diet, we found that lean ground beef or turkey works just fine as well. I'm also going to try it soon with shrimp as the protein center. I'll let you know in our free support community on facebook how that goes!
Here's how you make this entirely-too-easy family meal...
- 1 package of shredded slaw or veggies (I use the super food shredded mixes)
- 1/2 to 1 lb lean ground meat (your choice, amount to taste)
- 1 thumbnail-size fresh ginger root, minced or grated
- 3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- drizzle sesame oil
- drizzle low-sodium sauce or liquid aminos
- sprinkle of crushed red pepper (only if you like a little heat)
- sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds (for garnish)
- Place a large, deep pan over medium to high heat. Add ground meat and chop it up while it browns. Once browned and almost done (about 4-5 minutes) add in the fresh garlic and ginger.
- Add in slaw or shredded veggies, stir occasionally for about 3 minutes or so.
- Drizzle both the sesame oil and soy sauce, and add crushed red pepper.
- It's DONE! Place in a bowl and top with a sprinkling of sesame seeds if desired.
Here's what I love most as a health coach about this recipe - there's NO need for a fried shell like a traditional egg roll. What I love most about this recipe as a mom? Way less mess, since there's no frying and it only uses one pan!
The super food slaw I use? I found it at my local Walmart and it cost less than $2. My family and I are getting a good amount of vitamins, minerals and fiber from this dinner and we're staying on budget! Win-win.
Tell us what you think of this recipe in the comments below after you try it with your own hungry loves. For more FRESH recipe makeovers to add into your healthy meal plan, have a look-see in the recipe box here on the site.